Amazon dominates list of new web address disputes
London: Online retailer Amazon has received maximum number of complaints from different countries over its ambition to buy up web addresses.
Amazon received 26 complaints from Australia’s representation alone on a 50-nation strong panel advising the international internet address regulator on its attempts to secure exclusive rights to “strings”, including .app .mobile .music and .shop, that follow a website’s main address.
The Government Advisory Committee (GAC) makes non-binding recommendations to the international Internet regulator the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).
According to the Telegraph, firms like as L’Oréal and Johnson & Johnson faced similar complaints over competition concerns from Australia regarding applications for .beauty .hair and .makeup in L’Oréal’s case and .baby from Johnson & Johnson.
Australian representatives claim Amazon’s dominance of such generic “strings” would threaten competition laws, as the firms seeks exclusive access “to a broad market sector,” the paper said.
According to the paper, another complaint against Amazon arose from Brazil and Peru over an application for the .amazon string.
The representatives argued that giving Amazon specific rights would threaten ‘the use of this domain for purposes of public interest related to the protection, promotion and awareness raising on issues related to the Amazon biome.’
It would also, they added, “Hinder the possibility of use of this domain to congregate web pages related to the population inhabiting the geographical region.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka