Amazon dominates list of new web address disputes
London: Online retailer Amazon has received maximum number of complaints from different countries over its ambition to buy up web addresses.
Amazon received 26 complaints from Australia’s representation alone on a 50-nation strong panel advising the international internet address regulator on its attempts to secure exclusive rights to “strings”, including .app .mobile .music and .shop, that follow a website’s main address.
The Government Advisory Committee (GAC) makes non-binding recommendations to the international Internet regulator the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).
According to the Telegraph, firms like as L’Oréal and Johnson & Johnson faced similar complaints over competition concerns from Australia regarding applications for .beauty .hair and .makeup in L’Oréal’s case and .baby from Johnson & Johnson.
Australian representatives claim Amazon’s dominance of such generic “strings” would threaten competition laws, as the firms seeks exclusive access “to a broad market sector,” the paper said.
According to the paper, another complaint against Amazon arose from Brazil and Peru over an application for the .amazon string.
The representatives argued that giving Amazon specific rights would threaten ‘the use of this domain for purposes of public interest related to the protection, promotion and awareness raising on issues related to the Amazon biome.’
It would also, they added, “Hinder the possibility of use of this domain to congregate web pages related to the population inhabiting the geographical region.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs