Amazon, Twitter fail on clean energy front: Greenpeace
Washington: In a significant finding, the global environment group Greenpeace has applauded Apple, Facebook and Google for committing to power their data centres with 100 percent renewable energy.
It, however, criticised Amazon and Twitter for their data centres in coal areas and failing to reveal energy use.
“The rise of social media is being powered by dirty forms of energy such as coal,” a Greenpeace report said Wednesday.
Amazon Web Services lagged “far behind its major competitors, with zero reporting of its energy or environmental footprint to any source or stakeholder”, the report added.
Apple, in particular, had cleaned up its energy profile, it noted.
The company was awarded `A` ranks in energy transparency, deployment and advocacy, and commitment.
According to Greenpeace, some internet companies “have refused to pay even lip service to sustainability and are simply buying dirty energy straight from the grid”.
“Electricity use by data centres is one of the fastest-growing sources of greenhouse gas emissions globally, as more people come online. Internet data traffic is expected to triple between 2012 and 2017,” Greenpeace commented in a press release.
Twitter also received lower grades for failing to disclose its electricity use despite going public last year.
The report looked at 19 companies that operate more than 300 data centres combined.
Apple`s Clean Energy Index was 100 percent while Facebook and Google were rated by Greenpeace at 49 percent and 48 percent, respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- I see an outset of a footballing atmosphere in India: Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Two lions killed as man jumps into enclosure in attempt to commit suicide - Watch video
- Lord Hanuman's idols are fully smeared with sindoor – Here's why
- These car companies are offering purchase discount of upto Rs 1 lakh
- Actor-turned-politician Roopa Ganguly injured in 'Trinamool' attack