Amnesty International`s `Twignature` spreads its roots globally
Sydney: A technology adopted by international NGO Amnesty International, which allows Twitter users to add their digital signature to online petitions simply by re-tweeting a message, has gone global.
The technology, termed as `Twignature`, may be the latest tool for ` slacktivists`-people who sign internet petitions without joining the concerned organisation or contributing to its efforts-or an evolution of advocacy for the digital age, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
According to David Klein, executive creative director of BMF Melbourne, which developed the Twignature, Amnesty can now capitalise on any topical human rights issues as soon as they arise with the help of the technology.
Defending `slactivism` which has often been derided as lazy, Klein said that most people do not need to chain themselves to a tree to show their passion about a cause, adding that re-tweeting, hashtagging and YouTubing were about creating awareness and influencing opinions about an issue.
Klein further said that Twignature gives a platform for those people who believe that their voice be heard and that their voice can make change.
The technology is powering the Amnesty campaign that is urging US President Barack Obama to tighten restrictions on the global arms trade, the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents