Amnesty International`s `Twignature` spreads its roots globally
Sydney: A technology adopted by international NGO Amnesty International, which allows Twitter users to add their digital signature to online petitions simply by re-tweeting a message, has gone global.
The technology, termed as `Twignature`, may be the latest tool for ` slacktivists`-people who sign internet petitions without joining the concerned organisation or contributing to its efforts-or an evolution of advocacy for the digital age, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
According to David Klein, executive creative director of BMF Melbourne, which developed the Twignature, Amnesty can now capitalise on any topical human rights issues as soon as they arise with the help of the technology.
Defending `slactivism` which has often been derided as lazy, Klein said that most people do not need to chain themselves to a tree to show their passion about a cause, adding that re-tweeting, hashtagging and YouTubing were about creating awareness and influencing opinions about an issue.
Klein further said that Twignature gives a platform for those people who believe that their voice be heard and that their voice can make change.
The technology is powering the Amnesty campaign that is urging US President Barack Obama to tighten restrictions on the global arms trade, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what