Anna`s campaign finds high-tech back-up
New Delhi: Many young people have left their regular activities to collaborate full-time in a high-tech back-up to Anna Hazare`s anti-corruption crusade and taking it to the youth.
Already, a group of eight from varied backgrounds has been working 16 hours a day: these backroom people, who have joined Arvind Kejriwal`s India Against Corruption, provide updates on twitter and enlist support on social networking sites such as Facebook.
It is reminiscent of the manner in which digital communication systems have been used in popular movements over the last 10 years -- significant is its use in the 2002 presidential elections in Korea, where it has become a subject of study.
Gaurav Bhakshi, 34 and an MBA graduate from United States who says that he was assaulted twice for not paying bribe to government officers, now oversees the online campaign.
Bhakshi, who joined the campaign in November last year, manages Anna Hazare`s Facebook page that has over 200,000 hits so far.
"It is a huge hit as he is the face of the movement," Bhakshi told IANS. "Apart from people across the country, there are Non Resident Indians (NRI) and foreigners who have joined the online campaign."
The team includes journalists, software experts, PR professionals and management executives.
M.S. Chandramohan, 31, became part of the team while searching for a job in Chennai. "I had completed a film course in New York Film Academy and I came to Chennai early this year hunting for a job," he said. "During my search I came to know about the campaign."
The team works from small offices across the capital while some even work out of their homes.
"I have been working for 16-18 hours as we need to keep people updated," 34-year-old journalist Shivender Singh says. "I am now assisted by two friends as the work has increased. In last few months we have reached thousands through Facebook and twitter."
Singh, who works with a media organisation, has been on leave since February this year. "I was running a campaign against corruption during the Commonwealth Games and later I got in touch with Arvind Kejriwal and joined India Against Corruption," he says.
For most of the volunteers, it was not an easy choice. "We are not paid anything and it`s a voluntary service," says Singh with a smile. "As of now, I have savings to sustain me for a couple of months."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title