Anonymous threatens to hack UK ministry site over Assange`s captivity
Wellington: Notorious hacking group Anonymous have threatened to hack the web site of the British Justice Ministry in protest against Britain`s treatment of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.
Assange has currently taken refuge inside Ecuador`s embassy in London to avoid extradition to Sweden for questioning over a sexual misconduct charge.
Ecuador granted the 41-year-old Australian diplomatic asylum last week, but Britain has said it will not grant him safe passage out of the UK, insisting that it must follow the law and deliver him to Sweden on a binding European arrest warrant.
Anonymous claimed that it aimed to take down a number of British government websites as part of a campaign called "Operation Free Assange”.
"Gov. of UK expect us!” Stuff.co.nz quoted the hacktivist group, as tweeting, on its Twitter account.
The Justice Ministry said that its website was "experiencing some disruptions", but no data has been lost.
“This is a public information website and no sensitive data is held on it. No other Ministry of Justice systems have been affected. Measures put in place to keep the website running mean that some visitors may be unable to access the site intermittently,” it said in a statement.
Assange claims that if Britain extradites him to Swedish authorities, he will be handed over to the United States as part of a Washington-orchestrated plot to make him stand trial in the US for revealing a trove of American diplomatic and military secrets, the report said.
However, the United States says that such claims are "wild assertions" that try to deflect attention from the sexual misconduct allegations that Assange faces in Sweden, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM