Anonymous threatens to shut down Internet today
New Delhi: There is a strong possibility that you won`t be able to indulge in your favourite internet activities like shopping and surfing on Saturday due to a hacking group - Anonymous - which has threatened to shut down the net.
"Operation Global Blackout 2012 looks to shut down the internet for a whole day tomorrow (Saturday) by disabling its core DNS servers, making websites inaccessible," said Interpol`s Secretary General, Ronald K. Noble.
Noble was speaking at the thirteenth D.P. Kohli memorial lecture on "Multijurisdictional Investigation: Operation Unmask" in the capital.
According to Noble, "Anonymous" is protesting against several reasons including the crash of Wall Street and irresponsible leaders.
"Investigations have already been launched by Colombia, Chile and Spain as their private and public websites have been attacked by the group," he added.
Meanwhile, Interpol has launched Operation Unmask to deal with the group and arrested 31 alleged members in two different phases in February and March, 2012.
However, Anonymous vowed vengeance and retaliated through a global wave of cyber-attacks on Interpol Feb 28.
"At its peak, the wave reached 400,000 attacks per minute. My parents` home address and phone number were published on websites," said Noble.
According to Noble, there are around 2.3 billion internet users in the world and more than one million of them are affected by cybercrime every year while $388 billion dollars is the global cost of such crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown