Another milestone, Facebook celebrates 9th birthday
New Delhi: Social networking site Facebook on Monday turned nine.
Today, Facebook has over one billion active users and the counting is going on rapidly.
The most popular social networking site was founded by Mark Zuckerberg and his four friends as a sophomore at the Harvard University in 2004.
Some of the major developments since Facebook came into being are:
In September 2004, Facebook introduced the Wall, which allows people to write personal thoughts for which Zuckerberg faced a lawsuit for stealing the idea from some other firm.
Later in a bid to further expansion, Facebook included high schools in the year 2005.
In 2006, Facebook introduced News Feed which actually gathers all your Wall posts in one place.
In October 2007, Facebook sold 1.6 percent stake to Microsoft for US 240 million.
Further, it also introduced Beacon program, which is a feature that broadcasts people’s activities on dozens of outside sites in November 2007.
In April 2008, Facebook introduced chat feature.
In the year 2009, Facebook’s “Like” feature was introduced.
Further, in 2010, location feature was added to know the exact location of users and friends.
In the year 2011, Facebook introduced Timeline, a new version of the profile page.
Later, in January 2012, Timeline feature was made mandatory by the social networking website.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'