Another milestone, Facebook celebrates 9th birthday
New Delhi: Social networking site Facebook on Monday turned nine.
Today, Facebook has over one billion active users and the counting is going on rapidly.
The most popular social networking site was founded by Mark Zuckerberg and his four friends as a sophomore at the Harvard University in 2004.
Some of the major developments since Facebook came into being are:
In September 2004, Facebook introduced the Wall, which allows people to write personal thoughts for which Zuckerberg faced a lawsuit for stealing the idea from some other firm.
Later in a bid to further expansion, Facebook included high schools in the year 2005.
In 2006, Facebook introduced News Feed which actually gathers all your Wall posts in one place.
In October 2007, Facebook sold 1.6 percent stake to Microsoft for US 240 million.
Further, it also introduced Beacon program, which is a feature that broadcasts people’s activities on dozens of outside sites in November 2007.
In April 2008, Facebook introduced chat feature.
In the year 2009, Facebook’s “Like” feature was introduced.
Further, in 2010, location feature was added to know the exact location of users and friends.
In the year 2011, Facebook introduced Timeline, a new version of the profile page.
Later, in January 2012, Timeline feature was made mandatory by the social networking website.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India