Apple backed tech consortium sues Google and Samsung over patent infringement
Washington: A consortium that owns thousands of patents from the Nortel bankruptcy auction has sued Google and other manufacturers for patent infringement.
Rockstar, which is owned jointly by Apple, Blackberry, Ericsson, Microsoft, and Sony, filed suit in US District Court in Texas.
According to the Verge, the consortium has also alleged infringement by Asus, HTC, Huawei, LG, Pantech, Samsung and ZTE.
Rockstar is suing Google over patents that lie at the heart of its search advertising business, and it`s suing Google`s hardware manufacturing partners over the devices that run Android, the report said.
The move comes almost two years after the US Department of Justice approved the sale of the patents to Rockstar.
The consortium spent 4.5 billion dollars to buy more than 6,000 patents from Nortel in an auction in which Google was also a bidder.
Google is accused of infringing seven of the Nortel patents, covering technology that helps match internet search queries with relevant advertising, the report said.
The lawsuit tried to use the fact that Google attempted to buy the patents against it.
The lawsuit said that despite losing in its attempt to acquire the patents-in-suit at auction, Google has infringed and continues to infringe.
Samsung is accused of infringing seven patents related to graphical user interfaces, messaging, and notifications, among other issues. HTC and LG are accused of violating the same patents, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested