Apple drops ‘Mac computers immune from virus’ claim
Washington: Tech giant Apple has removed claims on its website that Mac computers do not get viruses, after hundreds of thousands of machines were hijacked by a Trojan earlier this year.
Apple`s web page titled ``Why you`ll love a Mac`` used to state that, ‘It doesn’t get PC viruses.’
According to The Sydney Morning Herald, the website has been altered and now simply says, ‘it`s built to be safe.’
“Built-in defences in OS X keep you safe from unknowingly downloading malicious software on your Mac,” the website said.
“OS X is designed with powerful, advanced technologies that work hard to keep your Mac safe,” it added.
But there is no longer any reference to Macs being immune from the viruses long-suffered by PC users.
According to the report, security experts welcomed the change in the company’s marketing.
“People in glass houses shouldn`t throw stones,” said Graham Cluley from British security firm Sophos.
“Let`s hope more Apple Mac owners are also learning to take important security steps - such as installing anti-virus protection,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...