Apple drops ‘Mac computers immune from virus’ claim
Washington: Tech giant Apple has removed claims on its website that Mac computers do not get viruses, after hundreds of thousands of machines were hijacked by a Trojan earlier this year.
Apple`s web page titled ``Why you`ll love a Mac`` used to state that, ‘It doesn’t get PC viruses.’
According to The Sydney Morning Herald, the website has been altered and now simply says, ‘it`s built to be safe.’
“Built-in defences in OS X keep you safe from unknowingly downloading malicious software on your Mac,” the website said.
“OS X is designed with powerful, advanced technologies that work hard to keep your Mac safe,” it added.
But there is no longer any reference to Macs being immune from the viruses long-suffered by PC users.
According to the report, security experts welcomed the change in the company’s marketing.
“People in glass houses shouldn`t throw stones,” said Graham Cluley from British security firm Sophos.
“Let`s hope more Apple Mac owners are also learning to take important security steps - such as installing anti-virus protection,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations