Apple Maps error can be potentially life-threatening: Oz police
New Delhi: Australian police have issued a warning to the public not to rely wholly on Apple’s mapping application as it gives erroneous direction leading motorists to take a wrong turn into a remote part of the country.
According to the Victoria state police, the error can be potentially life-threatening as the Maps service places the city of Mildura about 70 kilometers (44 miles) away in the Murray Sunset National Park, a desert-like 5,000 square kilometer (1,900 square mile) region with scorching temperatures, no water supply and virtually no mobile phone reception.
Police have been forced to rescue distressed drivers who have gotten stuck in the rural area — some of whom were stranded for 24 hours with no food or water and have walked long distances through tough terrain to access phone reception.
Earlier this year, Apple dropped Google Maps from its mobile operating systems in favor of its own mapping application, which has been criticized for bad directions, misplaced landmarks and missing towns. Apple CEO Tim Cook apologized for the mapping service in September and promised to improve it.
In the past 30 days, six people have been stranded after turning into the park via a dirt road the Maps application recommends, Mildura police inspector Simon Clemence said. The track eventually opens up into rough desert terrain that is only accessible to 4-wheel drives. That`s where cars are getting stuck in the sand, Clemence said.
"If you`re stuck out there in that you haven`t prepared, you`ve got nothing, you could be in a fair bit of trouble," he said.
Police received no response when they tried to contact Apple, Clemence said. By Tuesday morning, a day after police first went public with the problem, it appeared Apple had tried to fix the problem; drivers coming from the southern city of Adelaide are now correctly directed by the Maps application to Mildura, Clemence said. But drivers from Melbourne are still sent into the park.
"So 50 percent of the people are safe and 50 percent of the people aren`t," Clemence said with a chuckle. "So they sort of half-fixed it."
Apple did not immediately return a message seeking comment.
With temperatures this week expected to soar in the region, Clemence said it`s critical the directions be corrected quickly.
"It`s a pretty serious problem," Clemence said. "There`s a fair amount of responsibility on Apple to get this fixed."
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA