Asia should have its own Facebook, Twitter: Chinese official
Beijing: Asian countries should have their own version of Facebook and Twitter to expand the region`s influence, a Chinese official said today.
Asian media groups should use technical innovation to enrich their communication channels and have their own versions of Facebook and Twitter to expand the region`s influence, Cui Yuying, deputy director of the State Council Information Office said.
"Compared with Asia`s increasingly vital role in the world economy, the influence of Asian media groups on the world stage is very much disproportionate," Cui said at the fifth 10+3 Media Cooperation Forum at Chana`s Changchun city today.
China banned Facebook and Twitter but permitted microblog services, akin to Twitter whose numbers crossed over 300 million, constituting the world`s biggest microblog network.
Cui said that more than 80 per cent of news comes from major Western media groups while their Asian counterparts, lacking "a strong platform and authoritative status," have to rely on the Western media to obtain information.
The forum, jointly organised by the Beijing-based People`s Daily and the Jilin provincial government in northeast China, was themed "Asia`s Voice & Values: How Can Media Promote Peace, Harmony & Cooperation."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read