Australia fast becoming global hub of cyber attacks: Report
Wellington: Australia is increasingly becoming a hot-spot for targeted cyber attacks as online criminals shift their focus towards Asia.
According a report by cyber security firm Trend Micro, Australia has become the main location of `command and control` servers, which are used by cybercriminals when they attack governments and businesses.
The firm`s report indicated that 32 percent of targeted attacks in the second quarter of 2013 involved a command and control server located in Australia, followed by South Korea and Germany.
The report said that the criminals first infect Australian computers with malware via spam emails and other common pathways, turning it into a command and control server, and later using it for the actual target.
Jonathan Oliver from Trend Micro said that the infected computers act like middle-man in the cyber crime and foreign governments doubt the Australian links less as compared to those coming from Russia, China or other known cybercriminal hotspots.
Oliver added that the cybercriminals are trying to fly under the radar and Australia is considered safe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Life terms for 9 Filipinos over 2013 Malaysia incursion
- Kerry warns North Korea of `real consequences` for weapons programme
- Chinese army bans Hong Kong`s Pokemon players from barracks
- NASA's OSIRIS-REx spacecraft to map surface of asteroid 'Bennu' – Watch video!
- Swanky new Deen Dayal coaches for unreserved Rail passengers –Check out pics