Bangladesh lifts ban on YouTube?
Dhaka: Bangladesh today lifted a ban on popular video sharing website YouTube, eight months after it was imposed to prevent the viewing of an anti-Islam film which had sparked worldwide protests.
"The ban has been lifted," a spokesman of Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) Sunil Kanti Bose said.
Talking to state-run BSS news agency Bose said the people in Bangladesh now could have access again to the YouTube as all the International Internet Gateway (IIG) were directed to provide the popular service to the customer.
The telecom regulator blocked YouTube in Bangladesh on September 17 last year to prevent people from watching the 14-minute trailer on a film titled `Innocence of Muslims` which sparked deadly protests from the Middle East to Southeast Asia claiming many lives.
Bose said the ban was lifted on Google assurance that they would filter the objectionable content `Innocence of Muslims` for what the popular video streaming site was blocked temporarily in the country.
The BTRC chief said the Google also assured the regulator to install an independent server in Bangladesh as soon as possible.
Different Islamist groups had protested the film and set fire to US flag in the country.
The BTRC eventually banned the site as the Google US and Google APAC that control the operations of YouTube facility across the Asia-pacific region did not respond to Bangladesh request to withdraw the film.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price