Bill Clinton joins Twitter; gets 400,000 followers within 24 hrs
Washington: Former US President Bill Clinton has joined Twitter and attracted more than 400,000 followers within 24 hours on the social network.
Clinton, 66, posted his first tweet shortly before midnight Wednesday after US comedian Stephen Colbert told him he had established an official account for him April 9 during an interview on his popular Comedy Central television program, "The Colbert Report".
"Excited to join @ChelseaClinton and my good friend @StephenAtHome on Twitter!" tweeted the ex-president on his account @billclinton.
Clinton also posted another tweet reminding people of World Malaria Day and, on Thursday, he sent another Twitter message congratulating former president George W. Bush, who succeeded him in 2001, on the official opening of the latter`s presidential library in Dallas, Texas.
In Thursday`s tweet, Clinton said he was proud to be in Dallas for the library`s official opening with his wife Hillary, the former secretary of state under President Barack Obama, and he also posted a photo in which Obama and the four living ex-presidents appear.
In a light-hearted exchange during Colbert`s TV show, Clinton initially appeared sceptical about the usefulness of having the Twitter account that the comedian said he had "taken the liberty" of setting up for him.
"What if you tweet and nobody tweets back? There`s nothing worse than a friendless tweeter," said Clinton.
Colbert, well-known for his mordant sense of humor, said that, because more obvious handles were already taken, he had originally set up Clinton`s Twitter account using the handle @PrezBillyJeff - a play on Clinton`s first and middle names, William Jefferson - but this was later merged with the ex-president`s Twitter feed @billclinton.
Since he posted his first tweet Wednesday night, Clinton has reportedly garnered a total of 401,572 followers but, for the moment, he is only following eight people, among them Colbert and several people and organizations linked to the former president`s private foundation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi