Bill Gates slams Google`s `broadband via helium balloon` project
Wellington: Microsoft Chairman, Bill Gates has reportedly slammed Google`s broadband through helium balloon project and said that it won`t solve more pressing problems of the poor.
Google`s ` Project Loon` envisages a ring of balloons circling the globe at about 20 km and transmitting broadband to the 4.7 billion people who don`t have it.
However, Gates said that when people are dying of malaria, the helium balloon won`t be of much help, Stuff.co.nz reports.
He further said that expanding internet to poor countries won`t solve other important and pressing issues adding that Google started out with broad humanitarian aims but then it `shut it all down`.
The report added him saying that Google is now simply doing its core thing but doing just that will not help uplift the poor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail