BISM’s archives go digital to aid academic research
Pune: About 40,000 manuscripts from archives of the century-old Bharat Itihas Sanshodhak Mandal (BISM) have been digitised as part of a drive to preserve historical documents.
The gigantic work relating to age-old manuscripts and Sanskrit texts from the Ramayana, Mahabharata, Puranas and Vedas was undertaken by the Centrally-funded National Manuscripts Mission (NMM).
Its completion means that the ancient literature, which could have been lost with the ravages of time, will now be preserved for posterity and available at national libraries for relevant academic research activity.
"Most of the digitisation work involving about 40,000 bundles (one bundle contains a large number of loose pages) of ancient manuscripts -`Pothis` - in Sanskrit, Persian, Tamil, Kannda and Marathi is now over and the remainder will be finished shortly by the experts who have spent months together," said Shrkrishna Bhave, Director, BISM.
"Academicians from within the country as well as from America, Russia and Belgium have been visiting the Mandal to pursue their research as the documents offer a rare insight into ancient history," he added.
Among the BISM archives is a 14th century poetic composition written in Persian titled `Gulistan` in addition to a number of treatises and commentaries on topics pertaining, among others, to ayurveda, horoscope, `krishi shastra` (agriculture science) and vigyan
"There is a `pothi` in Sanskrit which even describes `viman-vidya` or the science of aeronautics in today`s parlance," Bhave noted.
A team of researchers from BISM has undertaken a descriptive cataloguing programme which involves indexing (`suchi`) of the documents simultaneously.
The catalogues currently being written by hand too will be subsequently digitised.
Interestingly, some of the documents in the archives bear letters written in ink with gold content for preservation while a few have colourful paintings.
The treasure trove of the BISM archives is expected to aid and take forward many of the ongoing academic researches pertaining to Indian scriptures and ancient literature.
Set up in 1910, BISM provides resources and training for historical researchers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks