Zee Media Bureau/Shruti Saxena
New Delhi: URL-shotner portal Bitly announced on Saturday that its user account database has been hacked. It further requested all its users to immediately reset their passwords after the security scare.
Bitly CEO Mark Josephson said in an official blog post, “"We have reason to believe that Bitly account credentials have been compromised”.
The post further adds, “We have no indication at this time that any accounts have been accessed without permission”.
The service has also dissconnected all its users Facebook and Twitter accounts as a security measure.
Further, to make it easy for a user to reconnect safely, Bitly has provided detailed step-by-step instructions in its blog post, which are as follows:
1) Log in to your account and click on `Your Settings,` then the `Advanced` tab.
2) At the bottom of the `Advanced` tab, select `Reset` next to `Legacy API key.`
3) Copy down your new API key and change it in all applications. These can include social publishers, share buttons and mobile apps.
4) Go to the `Profile` tab and reset your password.
5) Disconnect and reconnect any applications that use Bitly. You can check which accounts are connected under the `Connected Accounts` tab in `Your Settings.`