Bitly asks users to change passwords after data breach
Zee Media Bureau/Shruti Saxena
New Delhi: URL-shotner portal Bitly announced on Saturday that its user account database has been hacked. It further requested all its users to immediately reset their passwords after the security scare.
Bitly CEO Mark Josephson said in an official blog post, “"We have reason to believe that Bitly account credentials have been compromised”.
The post further adds, “We have no indication at this time that any accounts have been accessed without permission”.
The service has also dissconnected all its users Facebook and Twitter accounts as a security measure.
Further, to make it easy for a user to reconnect safely, Bitly has provided detailed step-by-step instructions in its blog post, which are as follows:
1) Log in to your account and click on `Your Settings,` then the `Advanced` tab.
2) At the bottom of the `Advanced` tab, select `Reset` next to `Legacy API key.`
3) Copy down your new API key and change it in all applications. These can include social publishers, share buttons and mobile apps.
4) Go to the `Profile` tab and reset your password.
5) Disconnect and reconnect any applications that use Bitly. You can check which accounts are connected under the `Connected Accounts` tab in `Your Settings.`
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH