BRICS should take lead in preserving cyber space as a global common good: Modi
Fortaleza: Pitching for `zero tolerance" against terrorism, Prime Minister Narendra Modi today told leaders of five-nation grouping BRICS that the "choices" they make now will shape the future of the world at large.
Addressing the summit of Brazil-Russia-India-China-South Africa here, he noted that the region stretching from Afghanistan to Africa is "experiencing turbulence and conflict" and "remaining mute spectators to countries being torn up can have grave consequences".
Modi, who is attending the Summit for the first time, said, "I firmly believe that terrorism, in any shape or form, is against humanity. There should be zero tolerance towards terrorism".
He underlined that the "choices we make now will shape the future of not just our countries, but the world at large".
The Prime Minister referred to the issue of cyber world and said, "Cyber space is a source of great opportunity" but "cyber security has "become a major concern".
BRICS countries, Modi said, should take a lead in preserving cyber space as a global common good.
Modi also pushed for an "open, rule-based, international trading regime", saying it is critical for global economic growth.
"It (global economic growth) must address aspirations of developing world" and "accommodate the special needs of the most vulnerable sections of our societies, especially in such areas as food security," the Prime Minister said.
Observing that he comes from a land where the idea of the whole world being one family is rooted in its ethos `vasudhaiva kutumbakam`, he said, "we can all partake of the bounty of nature. However, exploitation of nature is a crime."
Talking in the context of India, he said, "we will champion clean and frugal resource use to maintain sustainability of our development process, without constraining our growth."
The Prime Minister said his government will invest heavily in infrastructure, affordable housing, healthcare, education and clean energy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'