British crime agency website knocked out by attack
London: Britain`s Serious and Organized Crime Agency says its website has been taken down following a denial-of-service attack.
A spokesman says the site was taken down yesterday "to limit the disruption on other clients of our hosting provider."
Denial-of-service attacks work by flooding a website with bogus traffic, effectively making it unreachable.
Large attacks can also jam other websites hosted by the same provider.
Such attacks are easy to launch and generally do little lasting damage.
The spokesman said today that "we have had one or two before." He spoke anonymously in line with department policy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 2016 Rio Olympics: Russia bids to avoid ban as IOC reports new test failures
- What did she do that people tied her with rope and handed over to police? - Must read
- Assam flood situation grim, close to 3 lakh remain affected
- Sam Allardyce gets England job at second time of asking
- Multiple deaths reported in Munich shopping centre shooting, police operation underway