British crime agency website knocked out by attack
London: Britain`s Serious and Organized Crime Agency says its website has been taken down following a denial-of-service attack.
A spokesman says the site was taken down yesterday "to limit the disruption on other clients of our hosting provider."
Denial-of-service attacks work by flooding a website with bogus traffic, effectively making it unreachable.
Large attacks can also jam other websites hosted by the same provider.
Such attacks are easy to launch and generally do little lasting damage.
The spokesman said today that "we have had one or two before." He spoke anonymously in line with department policy.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- US, UN condemn Syria hospital bombing in war-ravaged Aleppo
- F-16 to boost precision strike capability in anti-terror operations: Pakistan
- UN Security Council readies North Korea missile test reply
- US Vice President Joe Biden on surprise visit to Iraq
- Panama papers scandal: Russia to join global fight against tax evasion