British crime agency website knocked out by attack
London: Britain`s Serious and Organized Crime Agency says its website has been taken down following a denial-of-service attack.
A spokesman says the site was taken down yesterday "to limit the disruption on other clients of our hosting provider."
Denial-of-service attacks work by flooding a website with bogus traffic, effectively making it unreachable.
Large attacks can also jam other websites hosted by the same provider.
Such attacks are easy to launch and generally do little lasting damage.
The spokesman said today that "we have had one or two before." He spoke anonymously in line with department policy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range