CCI awaiting probe report on Google: Govt
New Delhi: Competition Commission, which has ordered a probe into alleged unfair business ways of Internet giant Google, is awaiting report from its investigation arm.
"The Competition Commission of India (CCI), on receipt of information of alleged abuse of dominance by Google, has directed Director General, CCI to investigate the matter," Minister of State for Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman informed the Lok Sabha in a written reply.
"Investigation report in the matter is awaited," the minister added.
The fair trade regulator had ordered a probe against Internet major Google for alleged abuse of its dominant position in the online search advertising space.
Google has also come under the scanner of competition watchdogs in other countries as well.
To a separate question on National Company Law Tribunal and the National Company Law
Appellate Tribunal, the minister said that the formation of these two bodies "has been kept in abeyance on account of a legal challenge in the Supreme Court to certain provisions of the Companies Act, 2013 relating to the constitution and composition of these bodies.
"The detailed procedure for transfer of pending cases will be finalised by the NCLT after it is established," she added.
Separately, Sitharaman also informed the House that under the new Companies Law, board of directors of a firm "may contribute to bona fide and charitable funds and other funds.
"However, prior permission of the company in general meeting is required for such contribution in case any amount the aggregate of which, in any financial year, exceeds 5 per cent of its average net profits for the three immediately preceding financial year".
Additionally, she said that any such contribution made by the company has to be reflected in its accounts.
"Government has not received any suggestion from any quarter to change this standard accounting practice," Sitharaman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi