CCI awaiting probe report on Google: Govt
New Delhi: Competition Commission, which has ordered a probe into alleged unfair business ways of Internet giant Google, is awaiting report from its investigation arm.
"The Competition Commission of India (CCI), on receipt of information of alleged abuse of dominance by Google, has directed Director General, CCI to investigate the matter," Minister of State for Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman informed the Lok Sabha in a written reply.
"Investigation report in the matter is awaited," the minister added.
The fair trade regulator had ordered a probe against Internet major Google for alleged abuse of its dominant position in the online search advertising space.
Google has also come under the scanner of competition watchdogs in other countries as well.
To a separate question on National Company Law Tribunal and the National Company Law
Appellate Tribunal, the minister said that the formation of these two bodies "has been kept in abeyance on account of a legal challenge in the Supreme Court to certain provisions of the Companies Act, 2013 relating to the constitution and composition of these bodies.
"The detailed procedure for transfer of pending cases will be finalised by the NCLT after it is established," she added.
Separately, Sitharaman also informed the House that under the new Companies Law, board of directors of a firm "may contribute to bona fide and charitable funds and other funds.
"However, prior permission of the company in general meeting is required for such contribution in case any amount the aggregate of which, in any financial year, exceeds 5 per cent of its average net profits for the three immediately preceding financial year".
Additionally, she said that any such contribution made by the company has to be reflected in its accounts.
"Government has not received any suggestion from any quarter to change this standard accounting practice," Sitharaman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- DNA: Heroes of surgical strike receives gallantry award
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion