CCI orders probe in Google`s AdWords programme
New Delhi: Competition watchdog CCI has asked its investigation arm to probe the alleged discriminatory practices by global search engine Google relating to its AdWords, sources said.
The investigation, according to sources, was ordered after the Competition Commission of India (CCI) found "prima facie evidence" that Google has abused its dominant market position by being discriminatory in allotting keywords to matrimonial site Bharatmatrimony.Com.
"We have asked the Director General (Investigations) to complete the probe and give a report on it within 60 days. Prima facie, we found evidence that suggests that Google did abuse its dominant market position," a senior official said.
When contacted a Google spokesperson said, "We have not received any communication and therefore we are unable to comment on it".
In February, Bharat Matrimony had filed a complaint against Google alleging that the multinational company has abused its dominance by engaging in discriminatory and retaliatory practices relating to AdWords.
The AdWords programme, in which Google sells keywords to advertisers and displays them in the form of short ads online, is a big money spinner for the company.
"BharatMatrimony... Requests that the Commission investigate Google`s practices and impose remedial measures to protect competition," match-making portal had said in a statement.
It added the "increasing number of competition law complaints against Google globally suggests a pattern of anti- competitive conduct that needs to be checked in order to protect Indian businesses and consumers".
In 2011, the advertising segment comprised 96 per cent of Google`s USD 38 billion revenue.
BharatMatrimony is owned by Consim Info which has over 400 community portals and 15 regional portals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan