CEC SY Quraishi logs in to Twitter
New Delhi: India`s Chief Election Commissioner has finally "surrendered" to the Twitter.
And CEC SY Quraishi says he has to thank the youth of the country and his son for it.
Posting his maiden tweet, Quraishi, the head of the Election Commission, wrote, "At last, I have surrendered to twitter! Thanks to my son @mustafaquraishi and the youth of India for inspiring me."
In opening a Twitter account, Quraishi has followed in the footsteps of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, whose office now makes it a point to keep the followers posted of all major happenings in the PMO.
When asked on the reasons behind his opening an account on the social media site, Quraishi told PTI, "It is part of our efforts to reach out to voters and create awareness about voter education."
He said, "We need to reach out to voters of all ages and classes. Social media is the latest media. This was earlier left out. We feel that gap we have tried to fill up now."
Quraishi said that "We feel voter education is of paramount importance to make elections successful and meaningful."
Soon after posting his messages from his account DrSYQuraishi@twitter.com, the CEC today replied to a tweet, "Thanks for the welcome! I am convinced in the power of this
medium now!" and "Thank you! That is my main purpose...to connect with the youth!".
Quraishi has already started answering election-related queries of those following him on the social networking site.
It, however, remains to be seen whether Quraishi uses Twitter for plain personal messaging or also posts comments on significant issues concerning the election conduct and processes involved in free and fair electioneering, besides on contentious issues like election reforms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org