China blocks all foreign websites
London: China`s internet censorship system known as “the Great Firewall of China” intensified briefly today when all foreign websites blocked as users were unable to access them.
Observers speculated that the system could be being upgraded to further tighten the regime`s control over foreign sites.
Users in Beijing, Shanghai and elsewhere in China reported that they were unable to access any foreign sites at all, The Daily Mail reports.
China had already restricted access to many foreign sites including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube citing a need to maintain social stability.
The change in the service came as China faced renewed attack from Western `hacktivists` for its restrictive Internet policies and human rights violations.
Hacker group Anonymous has said it intends to launch a full-scale attack against the `Great Firewall of China`.
Anonymous, a loosely knit group that has attacked financial and government websites around the world, hacked into Chinese government websites last week, defacing several, The paper reports said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security