China closes 274 `illegal` websites
Beijing: China has closed a total of 274 "illegal" websites containing "pornographic and violent contents" since July, the government said Tuesday.
The State Internet Information Office also fined over 300 websites for illegal operations.
Several government agencies jointly launched a campaign in mid July to reduce children`s access to potentially harmful information during the summer vacation, the Office said in a statement.
A large number of the websites were not registered or registered with false information while a few of them disguised themselves through stealing domain names and servers of some deserted websites, state-run Xinhua news agency reported quoting the statement.
Besides spreading pornography and violence, some websites were also caught spreading false medical information, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations