China has 274 mn microbloggers
Beijing: China has a staggering 274 million microbloggers, said a report on the country`s new media development.
The report, published by the Social Sciences Academic Press annually, quoted the China Internet Network Information Center (CINIC), which said that about 274 million Chinese people had microblog accounts as of June this year.
The number of microbloggers increased sharply from about 63 million in 2010, said the report issued by a team of social sciences experts headed by Yin Yungong, director of the Institute of Journalism and Communication of the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.
Microblogging has become an important channel for Chinese people to express themselves, particularly about public issues, reported Xinhua citing the report.
It has also become an easy and low-cost communication channel between the government and citizens, the report said.
At Sina Weibo, a leading microblogging service, 18,132 accounts have been registered by the Party and government departments and officials as of last October.
Social networks like microblogging have begun to set the agenda of public opinions and affected public emotions in some incidents, the report said.
Governments have realized the influence of social networks and put more effort in working with them, it said.
Research by the report`s authors from July to December last year showed that the authorities responded to about 71.9 percent of issues that were widely discussed by microbloggers and 50.4 percent were within 24 hours.
Besides microblogging, instant message is also popular with Chinese people and has overtaken search engine, music and news to be the most popular online application, the report said.
It added that about 415 million Chinese use instant message applications.
The report warned that legislation relating to new media has lagged behind their development.
The report also suggested that China work out a national strategy on the development of new media and find a way of managing it.
The number of Internet users in China rose 10.9 percent year on year to 538 million by the end of June, meaning that four out of ten Chinese access the Internet, according to figures from the CINIC.
It is estimated that by 2015 China will have more than 800 million Internet users, one quarter of which will come from the countryside, the report said.
China should put itself in a more active position in the development of the Internet and pay more attention to protect its interests and security in cyber space, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why