China loses 27.8 mn micro-blog users in 2013
Johannesburg: China has seen a surprise drop in the number of online micro-blog users with more than 27.8 million people abandoning Sina Weibo in 2013.
According to News24, there has been a significant increase in users of mobile messaging platforms, with features similar to micro-blogs.
The China Internet Network Information Centre`s annual report revealed that there were 281 million users of Twitter-like micro-blogs at the end of 2013, down 9 percent from the previous year.
The fall marks the site`s first drop in usage amid a government crackdown on so-called `rumour mongers` online, who post micro-blogs deemed sensitive by the authorities, and new controls on what can be posted and reposted online.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days