China loses 27.8 mn micro-blog users in 2013
Johannesburg: China has seen a surprise drop in the number of online micro-blog users with more than 27.8 million people abandoning Sina Weibo in 2013.
According to News24, there has been a significant increase in users of mobile messaging platforms, with features similar to micro-blogs.
The China Internet Network Information Centre`s annual report revealed that there were 281 million users of Twitter-like micro-blogs at the end of 2013, down 9 percent from the previous year.
The fall marks the site`s first drop in usage amid a government crackdown on so-called `rumour mongers` online, who post micro-blogs deemed sensitive by the authorities, and new controls on what can be posted and reposted online.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes