China shuts down over 100 independent news websites
Beijing: China has shut down more than 100 privately-run news websites since May this year, defending the move as part of a campaign against extortionists, but critics alleged that it was a crackdown on citizen journalists.
The State Council`s National Internet Information Office has closed 107 informal news websites and portals since May 9, according to a list obtained by the `Beijing News`.
The websites included `The Voice of the People`, `Democratic Legal Supervision Net`, `Chinese Citizen News`, `Justice Online` and similarly-named provincial websites, the Hong Kong based South China Morning Post reported today.
Some government officials have spoken out defending the move.
According to Ren Zhanzhou, a spokesman for the city of Sanmenxia in Henan province, these websites have either not fulfilled registration requirements or they are "fake news organisations" or have "fabricated or collected negative news to extort companies".
Last year, independent blogger Zhu Ruifeng exposed a real estate developer honey-trapping a dozen Chongqing government officials on such a privately-run news website, People`s Supervision, which he had been running since 2006. On July 17, censors took down his news website and disabled his microblog accounts.
However, People`s Supervision is not mentioned in the list of websites shut-down by the National Internet Information Office.
For Maya Wang, a Hong Kong-based researcher with Human Rights Watch, the crackdown contradicts President Xi Jinping`s vow to "always listen to the voice of the people", when he assumed office in March.
Many of these websites, she said "provide opportunities for ordinary people to voice their grievances and to blow the whistle on official misconduct and corruption".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...