China`s netizens outnumber US population: Report
Beijing: China`s online population, the largest in the world, is now more than the entire population of the United States, touching 338 million by the end of June after a surge of 40 million in the first six months of 2009.
China had 338 million Internet users by the end of June, up 40 million from the end of last year, according to the state-run Xinhua news agency, which cited a report by the China Internet Network Information Center.
The number of broadband Internet connections rose by 10 million to 93.5 million in the first half of the year, data released by the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) revealed.
More than 90 percent, or 1,734 of China’s villages had access to the Internet by early June, said the MIIT data. About 95 percent of townships were connected to broadband, and 92.5 percent of natural villages had telephone coverage, the report said.
China`s top three telecommunication operators—China Telecom, China Mobile and China Unicom - are expected to make major investment to the tune of 280 billion yuan (USD 40 billion) to improve 3G network in between 2009-2010, vice president Lu Xiangdong of China Mobile was quoted as saying in the report.
China`s vast online population has often proved to be a headache for the government in times of political upheavals, with the government forced to enforce media control as seen during the social unrest in northwest Xinjiang region and last year in Tibet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says