Chinese micro-blog launches paid membership
Beijing: Sina Weibo, one of the most popular micro-blogging websites in China, has launched paid membership services.
The paid membership will be available at vip.weibo.com. Users need to pay 10 yuan (around $1.5) a month for VIP membership and 15 privileges like homepage decoration and faster download speeds, the China Daily reported Tuesday.
Other micro-blogging websites like Netease, Sohu and Tencent, however, said they have no intention to charge microblog users.
"Sohu micro-blog will never charge fees from its users," said Fang Gang, vice-president of the production department at Sohu, a major competitor to Sina.
Some users said that after the introduction of paid services, "excessive inequality" may occur between ordinary users and the privileged members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'