Chinese micro-blog launches paid membership
Beijing: Sina Weibo, one of the most popular micro-blogging websites in China, has launched paid membership services.
The paid membership will be available at vip.weibo.com. Users need to pay 10 yuan (around $1.5) a month for VIP membership and 15 privileges like homepage decoration and faster download speeds, the China Daily reported Tuesday.
Other micro-blogging websites like Netease, Sohu and Tencent, however, said they have no intention to charge microblog users.
"Sohu micro-blog will never charge fees from its users," said Fang Gang, vice-president of the production department at Sohu, a major competitor to Sina.
Some users said that after the introduction of paid services, "excessive inequality" may occur between ordinary users and the privileged members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- EXCLUSIVE: This is what Kashmiri children think about India – Must watch video
- US-backed forces give IS '48 hours' to leave Syria's Manbij
- RBI to cut rates by 0.25% on Aug 9 if rains damp pulse price
- Kotak Mahindra Bank to raise Rs 5,000 cr via bonds
- 0.50% cut in policy rate by March quarter: Morgan Stanley