Chinese micro-blog launches paid membership
Beijing: Sina Weibo, one of the most popular micro-blogging websites in China, has launched paid membership services.
The paid membership will be available at vip.weibo.com. Users need to pay 10 yuan (around $1.5) a month for VIP membership and 15 privileges like homepage decoration and faster download speeds, the China Daily reported Tuesday.
Other micro-blogging websites like Netease, Sohu and Tencent, however, said they have no intention to charge microblog users.
"Sohu micro-blog will never charge fees from its users," said Fang Gang, vice-president of the production department at Sohu, a major competitor to Sina.
Some users said that after the introduction of paid services, "excessive inequality" may occur between ordinary users and the privileged members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred