Chinese second most popular on Internet
Beijing: The Chinese language has become one of the most widely used on Internet, second only to English, an official said.
Liu Ruisheng, vice research fellow at the Institute of Media Research under the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, said that there were only around 22.5 million internet users in China in 2000.
At that time, the number of internet users per 100 Chinese people was even lower than the average in developing countries.
China`s internet penetration rate reached over 34 percent in 2010 after 10 years of efforts, 1.5 times the average rate of developing countries.
The gap between China and developed countries in internet penetration has been narrowing year by year, the People`s Daily reported.
In addition, the number of mobile phone users in China has reached nearly 900 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you