Cisco, Facebook to work with businesses to expand free Wi-Fi use
New York: Cisco Systems Inc and Facebook Inc said on Wednesday they will work with big businesses such as hotels and retailers to provide free wireless Internet access to consumers who sign in using a Facebook log-in.
The companies have been testing the concept with smaller businesses for about a year but will work together to support bigger companies that want to improve customer loyalty or learn more about their customers through offering free Wi-Fi.
Rather than having to get the provider`s Wi-Fi access code, a visitor to a coffee shop or a hotel, for example, could connect to the Wi-Fi system simply by logging onto Facebook and "checking in" to the business` Facebook page.
Cisco Chief Executive Officer John Chambers, in a speech at the Interop technology conference in New York, said the system would allow retailers to deliver tailored promotions or information to consumers who check in through Facebook when they arrive at a store.
Cisco said some customers of its Connected Mobile Experience Wi-Fi technology are currently testing the system.
While Cisco is looking to sell network equipment, Facebook is joining arch-rival Google Inc in helping its users connect directly to the Internet, which increases the amount of time they spend on the companies` advertising-supported websites.
Facebook`s Wi-Fi service also helps it forge closer relationships with corporations by providing the businesses anonymous demographic data about Facebook users coming through their doors.
Facebook is not funding the Wi-Fi effort, and merchants would pay for the network equipment and broadband costs.
Earlier this year, Google announced plans to bring free wireless Internet access to 7,000 Starbucks Corp cafes across the United States.
As part of that deal, Google will also help develop a version of the Starbucks Digital Network, putting it in a strong position to offer targeted advertising and promote the music and other media the coffee retailer sells.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued