Coming soon: Free Wi-Fi for Facebook users
Washington: Facebook users, rejoice! Your days of repeatedly asking for Wi-Fi passwords at coffee-shops may soon be over.
The social networking website is testing a new Wi-Fi hot spot service for local businesses that grants users free Internet access if they do a Facebook check-in.
Businesses would provide the access via a Facebook router that directs customers to its Facebook page once users check in, the `Discovery News` reported.
"We are currently running a small test with a few local businesses of a Wi-Fi router that is designed to offer a quick and easy way to access free Wi-Fi after checking in on Facebook," the company confirmed to Inside Facebook.
"When you access Facebook Wi-Fi by checking in, you are directed to your local business Facebook Page," it said.
Developer Tom Waddington is credited with discovering the test when he found a new entry called "social wi-fi" in the "Like sources" section of the Insights API.
While businesses would still provide the Internet access, Facebook would provide a router. Page owners would be able to monitor how many new `Likes` the page received from those who used the Wi-Fi service.
Visitors who don`t want to jump through the Facebook hoop could still access the network via a password from the business, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday