Competition Commission probe against Google gets extension
New Delhi: Competition Commission has given more time to its Director General to complete probe against Google for alleged unfair practices in the Internet search engine market.
The Commission refers cases to its investigation arm -- Director General -- once there is prima facie evidence of violating competition norms.
"The investigation (against Google) is not complete. The DG`s office wanted some extensions because they wanted to look at it in detail. We have given them the extension," Competition Commission of India (CCI) Chairman Ashok Chawla told PTI in an interview.
"So, once they (DG) come with their report then we will take a call," he said.
Following a complaint against Google, which dominates the Internet search space, the Commission had started investigations in August last year. In India, the entity accounts for over 90 per cent of the Internet search market.
The probe is looking into whether the search engine major abused its dominant position and violated any competition rules.
"As far as I recall, the allegation or the complaint was that their (Google) search engine is such that it is discriminatory and it favours the platforms which Google wants to support.
"That is when you click on Google under a certain category, you will get the platforms where there is a tendency to put them in a certain order which may not be the fair and non-discriminatory manner.
"So, what is the software and what is the algorithmic search, (that is) what the investigation team is looking at," Chawla said.
Abuse of dominant market position by enterprises is a violation under Section 4 of the Competition Act, 2002.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?