Counter cyber attackers with same tech they use: NTRO Chief
New Delhi: The technology used by cyber attackers like malwares and tor can be used to counter them, a top official of country`s technical intelligence body NTRO said Monday.
"You keep on hearing about cookies, proxies then anonymous services like onion routing, tor or honey pod. These are kind of things used by attackers. Same technology can be used to counter them," NTRO Chairman Alhad G Apte said at a two-day summit organised by industry chamber Assocham.
The Chairman of National Technical Research Organization said that method to address cyber security issues have to be through new approaches but the situation is not as grim as it is sometimes made out to be.
He said intrusion detection systems which finds out cyber attack made on infrastructure can be used in predictive analysis of the attack so as to minimise the response time for new types of attack.
"For effective cyber security we should first create convenient system for acceptable use of cyber world. We tend to put more and more restriction and sometime these restrictions become counterproductive," Apte said.
He called for strong cooperation among all stakeholders connected with cyber space for dealing with cyber security issues.
"This is a borderless state and breach is likely to result in some kind of national security issues," Apte said
Speaking on the occasion, Ex-Centre Director of National Critical Information Infrastructure Protection Centre, Muktesh Chander said that people always knew about vulnerability of coastal borders but security has been beefed up after Mumbai attack.v
"Let us not repeat this mistake of waking up after disaster. A digital Pearl Harbour need not happen to make us realise dangers of cyber space on our national security," Chander said.
He said we need to our guard our secrets in cyber world from large scale cyber espionage.
"Prevention and detection of cyber attack and if need be retaliation in cyber space is the need of the hour," Chander said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre