CryptoLocker scariest threat to PCs around the world
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: CryptoLocker, a ransomeware (a malicious computer software that threatens the users, usually for money or data) first appeared in September 2013, has reportedly emerged as a potent threat to PCs around the world.
In the last four months of 2013, the malicious software raked in around five million dollars, an amount that previously took ransomware purveyors an entire year to get their hands on.
A compromised personal computer for a botnet or Distributed Denial of Service attack is worth about a buck to a byte bandit, explained Johannes B. Ullrich, chief research officer at the SANS Institute.
He further said that with ransomware, the attacker can easily make 100 dollars and more.
Meanwhile, the bad app is said to be the result of an evolutionary process, leading back to the rogue anti-virus campaigns during the 2000s, which used pop-up windows alerting a user that their computer was infected.
Garth Bruen, a fellow with the Digital Citizens Alliance, a consumer safety group focused on online crime, said that the people selling the software were the same people who infected the machine, which later came to be known as ` scareware `.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read