Cyber attacks could disrupt rail services
London: Advances in switching technologies have exposed rail networks to the simplest form of cyber attacks that could be launched by inexperienced teen hackers.
Knowing how to trigger a denial of service attack could halt train services, warns a German security expert, thanks to mobile phone signals that are used to link railway switching systems together.
Denial of service campaigns are one of the simplest forms of cyber attack, where hackers recruit large numbers of computers to overwhelm the targeted system with Internet traffic.
Stefan Katzenbeisser, professor at Technische Universität Darmstadt in Germany, said switching systems were at risk of denial of service attacks, which could cause long disruptions to rail services.
"Trains would not crash, but service could be disrupted for quite some time," said Katzenbeisser.
Katzenbeisser said GSM-R - standing for GSM-railway - a mobile technology used for train communications, is more secure than the usual GSM, used in phones. But it`s still vulnerable to hackers who manage to lay hands on one security key, the Daily Mail reported.
The attacks require far less skill than penetrating a computer network or writing malicious software. Hackers have used the approach to attack government and business sites worldwide.
Train switching systems, which guide trains from one track to another marshalling yards, have historically been separate from the online world, but communication between trains and switches is handled increasingly using wireless technology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Arjun Tendulkar included in U-16 West Zone team for inter-zonal tourney
- Camry Hybrid, Ciaz, Ertiga to cost less in Delhi after VAT cut
- In Pics: Remember 'Hip Hip Hurray'? This is what its star-cast looks like now!
- Champions League final goal like losing virginity – Sergio Ramos
- Madhur Bhandarkar takes expert advice from Subramanian Swamy for film on emergency? View pics