Cyber harassment trauma more intense
Washington: Online harassment or cyberstalking is more stressful and traumatic than its physical equivalent.
Emotional responses may include high levels of ongoing stress, anxiety, fear, nightmares, shock and disbelief, helplessness, hyper-vigilance, eating and sleeping difficulties, according to a new study.
"Increasingly, stalkers use modern technology to monitor and torment their victims," said Elizabeth Carll, who heads the media division of the American Psychological Association (APA).
"One in four victims report some form of cyberstalking, such as threatening e-mails or instant messaging," she said.
"The impact is more devastating due to the 24/7 nature of online communication, inability to escape to a safe place and global access of the information," she added.
US Justice Department statistics reveal that some 850,000 adults, majority females, are targets of cyberstalking each year, Carll said according to an APA statement.
Forty percent of women have experienced dating violence via social media which includes harassing text messages and disturbing information about them on social media sites.
Researchers examined data collected in 2009 from 1,112 students, ages 12 to 19, including 405 females, from schools in Seoul and the Keonggi area of South Korea.
The students completed a questionnaire about their cyberbullying experiences, self-esteem and how they regulate their emotions.
"The results revealed that cyberbullying makes students socially anxious, lonely, frustrated, sad and helpless," said presenter YeoJu Chung of South Korea`s Kyungil University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price