Cyber harassment trauma more intense
Washington: Online harassment or cyberstalking is more stressful and traumatic than its physical equivalent.
Emotional responses may include high levels of ongoing stress, anxiety, fear, nightmares, shock and disbelief, helplessness, hyper-vigilance, eating and sleeping difficulties, according to a new study.
"Increasingly, stalkers use modern technology to monitor and torment their victims," said Elizabeth Carll, who heads the media division of the American Psychological Association (APA).
"One in four victims report some form of cyberstalking, such as threatening e-mails or instant messaging," she said.
"The impact is more devastating due to the 24/7 nature of online communication, inability to escape to a safe place and global access of the information," she added.
US Justice Department statistics reveal that some 850,000 adults, majority females, are targets of cyberstalking each year, Carll said according to an APA statement.
Forty percent of women have experienced dating violence via social media which includes harassing text messages and disturbing information about them on social media sites.
Researchers examined data collected in 2009 from 1,112 students, ages 12 to 19, including 405 females, from schools in Seoul and the Keonggi area of South Korea.
The students completed a questionnaire about their cyberbullying experiences, self-esteem and how they regulate their emotions.
"The results revealed that cyberbullying makes students socially anxious, lonely, frustrated, sad and helpless," said presenter YeoJu Chung of South Korea`s Kyungil University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- When MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan got 'lift' from cops during visit to flood-hit areas; image goes viral - Pic inside
- Monsoon session of UP assembly from today; GST Bill likely to be ratified
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sachin Tendulkar all set to gift a swanky BMW to PV Sindhu for scripting history
- Four-day Delhi Assembly session to ratify GST Bill starts today
- Here's what kept Abhay Deol away from silver screen for two years!