Cyber-threat ‘most serious’ challenge for US: Obama
Pyongyang: US President Barack Obama has expressed concerns over increasing cases of cyber-attacks, calling it the ‘most serious economic and national security’ challenge that America faces.
In an opinion piece for the Wall Street Journal, Obama pointed out that the US had to do more to put essential defences in place to avoid the debilitating effects of an attack.
“It would be the height of irresponsibility to leave a digital backdoor wide open to our cyber-adversaries,” Obama wrote in the newspaper`s editorial column.
He warned enemies struggling to defeat the US on the terrestrial battlefield might move the conflict to cyberspace, the BBC reports.
According to the report, Obama rehearsed the potential consequences of a successful cyber-attack, saying it could trigger a financial crisis if banks were hit.
Health emergencies could be caused by infiltrating the computer systems in hospitals or water treatment plants, he said.
And taking out power plants could bring entire regions to a standstill, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!