Cyber threats to increase in 2012: Report
Houston: More and increasingly sophisticated cyber threats are expected in 2012, according to a new report.
The report released yesterday by the Georgia Tech Information Security Center and the Georgia Tech Research Institute, several specific threats that experts and researchers believe will be more prevalent next year.
One of the major threats is the expected increase of attacks against mobile web browsers.
The other two threats for next year are Search Poisoning and Stolen Cyber Data Use for Marketing.
Mustaque Ahamad, Director of the Georgia Tech Information Security Center, says some applications downloaded onto smart phones and other mobile web devices could pose a significant threat.
"It`s possible that it takes your contact information, your location, if you`re doing mobile banking your financial institution credentials and things like that, so there are all
kinds of possibilities."
Ahamad says mobile-web device users need to be aware of the risk before downloading applications.
"You just don`t download any app onto to your phone. Youhave to do some due-diligence before you decide to run that."
"If we are going to prevent motivated adversaries from attacking our systems, stealing our data and harming our critical infrastructure, the broader community of security researchers including academia, the private sector and government must work together to understand emerging threats and to develop proactive security solutions to safeguard the Internet and physical infrastructure that relies on it."
The report also says attackers are expected to increasingly use techniques to make it more likely for internet users to click on malicious links when visiting search engines.
Experts also believe botnets will capture private user information from social media platforms, and that information will be sold to businesses.
The report was released at the annual Georgia Tech Cyber Security Summit.
Georgia Tech Cyber Security Summit is one forum where theIT security ecosystem can gather together to discuss and debate the evolving nature of cyber threats, and to chart the
course for creating solutions through collaborations among industry, government and academia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi