Cyberattack deprives millions of Dutch of online ID
The Hague: More than 10 million Dutch citizens were unable to use their official online signature to pay bills and taxes because of a cyberattack, officials said Wednesday.
The national DigiD system "is no longer accessible since Tuesday evening because of a DDoS attack," the interior ministry said in a statement.
DDoS or distributed denial of service attacks essentially disrupt sites by bombarding them with traffic.
Use of the DigiD system is widespread in the Netherlands, where more than 10 million people out of a population of 17 million rely on it, ministry spokesman Frank Wassenaar told a news agency.
DigiD users` personal details are not under threat, the ministry said.
"It`s as if the alarm is constantly going off and the door remains closed," the minister said.
"The thieves thankfully stay outside but unfortunately so also do normal visitors."
DigiD is a secure system for citizens to identify themselves electronically, consisting of a username and password.
The system is used in the Netherlands to pay taxes, bills, change address or request official papers.
The Dutch police`s cybercrime unit is probing the attack, the ministry said.
Several Dutch banks and airline KLM have been hit by DDoS attacks in recent weeks, rendering websites and online banking services inaccessible for several hours at a time.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed