Cybercriminals hitting through fake relief fund sites: McAfee
New Delhi: Many fake websites seeking donations for Uttarakhand flood relief fund are emerging threat for Internet users as these are spreading malicious programmes, security solutions provider McAfee said.
"In the wake of the natural calamity that has struck Uttarakhand, many fake donation websites are emerging in cyberspace. They operate by means of emails as well as posts on social networking sites that request for donations towards fake relief funds," McAfee said in a release.
Not many people are aware that such links could be laden with malicious software designed to steal password and personal information, it added.
Anyone who clicks on these sites or visits such a website could end up with a malware-ridden computer and loss of personal data, it said.
McAfee recommended individuals to be guarded and exercise caution against such occurrences and use caution against any suspicious websites on social networking sites from an untrustworthy source.
"Do not open any files attached to an email unless you know what it is, even if it appears to come from a friend or someone you know. Some viruses can replicate themselves and spread through email. Confirm that your contact really sent an attachment," it added.
The firm advised Internet users to delete chain emails and junk email and not to forward or reply to any to them. These types of email are considered spam -- unsolicited, intrusive messages that clog up the in-boxes and networks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note