Defiant Twitter CEO fires back at `all-boys tech club` remark
Washington: Twitter CEO Dick Costolo reportedly got in a `tweet-brawl` when Indian-American technology entrepreneur and academic at Stanford`s Rock Center for Corporate Governance, Vivek Wadhwa criticized Twitter for being an `all-boys club` with lack of women in its top ranks.
Wadhwa noted that Twitter`s board and C-suite were all white and all male with the exception of General Counsel Vijaya Gadde, who joined the company only recently.
According to a news website, Costolo fired several tweets, calling Wadhwa as the `Carrot Top of academic sources` and that he had a propensity for silly hyperbole.
When another entrepreneur and technologist Anil Dash came to Wadhwa`s defence and criticized Costolo`s remarks over industry sexism, the CEO elaborated that fixing gender bias in the boardroom entails `more than checking a box and saying `we did it!`.
Wadhwa`s further tweeted that Twitter, being most visible companies in tech, should take the lead and fix the imbalance, and called it the Silicon Valley mafia further questioning the company`s plan to go public with its IPO without a single woman on the board.
The report said that Facebook was also famously criticized for its `frat house` culture and its COO Sheryl Sandberg further fueled the debate with her bestseller ` Lean In`, which urged women to `lean into` their careers rather than pull back when confronted with the demands of family and motherhood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened