Defiant Twitter CEO fires back at `all-boys tech club` remark
Washington: Twitter CEO Dick Costolo reportedly got in a `tweet-brawl` when Indian-American technology entrepreneur and academic at Stanford`s Rock Center for Corporate Governance, Vivek Wadhwa criticized Twitter for being an `all-boys club` with lack of women in its top ranks.
Wadhwa noted that Twitter`s board and C-suite were all white and all male with the exception of General Counsel Vijaya Gadde, who joined the company only recently.
According to a news website, Costolo fired several tweets, calling Wadhwa as the `Carrot Top of academic sources` and that he had a propensity for silly hyperbole.
When another entrepreneur and technologist Anil Dash came to Wadhwa`s defence and criticized Costolo`s remarks over industry sexism, the CEO elaborated that fixing gender bias in the boardroom entails `more than checking a box and saying `we did it!`.
Wadhwa`s further tweeted that Twitter, being most visible companies in tech, should take the lead and fix the imbalance, and called it the Silicon Valley mafia further questioning the company`s plan to go public with its IPO without a single woman on the board.
The report said that Facebook was also famously criticized for its `frat house` culture and its COO Sheryl Sandberg further fueled the debate with her bestseller ` Lean In`, which urged women to `lean into` their careers rather than pull back when confronted with the demands of family and motherhood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!