Does Facebook-WhatsApp deal mean death of SMS?
Washington: Facebook announced its WhatsApp acquisition plans for an eye popping 19 billion dollars and the market went dizzy with the initial sticker stock, however, the biggest question still remains whether mobile messaging eventually bring death to the traditional SMS text messaging.
Although, for Facebook, the deal means more user base, more penetration in emerging markets , but until the deal goes through, SMS stands no chance of vanishing so soon.
According to PC World, texting is simply too ubiquitous, and essentially totally free in modern carrier plans.
In the US, Verizon is one of the few carriers that charges for texts, offering 34.99 dollars/month SMS-only text plan, and a 54.99 dollars/month plan that comes with 2GB of data.
However, overseas, sending a text from the US to other network costs more compared to WhatsApp`s free and unlimited texting offer, anywhere, without advertising.
The report said that chances are that a user`s contacts were also Facebook friends, and the social networking giant would just aim at making its Facebook Home more attractive to compel users to remain within Facebook`s comfy environs.
The acquisition might as well see WhatsApp becoming Facebook version of Skype.
Till the deal draws to a close, and real work begins inside the two companies, it is hard to argue if the multi billion dollar deal would benefit consumers more than either company.
However, it would certainly help in Facebook`s overseas expansion and consolidating its presence on the phone benefits Facebook, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams