Doodle honour for zip inventor Gideon Sundback
California, US: World’s most popular search engine, Google, has once again created ripples with its latest ‘doodle’, a giant zipper running down the centre of its homepage.
The zipper doodle is Google’s tribute to Gideon Sundback, who perfected the zipper. April 24 is Sundback’s birthday.
Born in Sweden in the year 1880, Sundback was trained as an electrical engineer and immigrated to the US in 1905.
After a stint at electric company in Pennsylvania, Sundback joined the Universal Fastener Company in New Jersey, and became its head designer in 1909.
Engineers have been working to develop a fastener with interlocking teeth for over 20 years before Sundback perfected the zipper.
His innovation revolutionised the clothing industry - gone were the days of cumbersome buttons and hook-and-eye fasteners.
Sundback’s smart design - a dimple on the underside of each tooth and a nib on the top – ensured that no single tooth has enough room to come apart, hence making the zip strong.
Importantly, he also designed a machine for manufacturing the new zipper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan