Doodle honour for zip inventor Gideon Sundback
California, US: World’s most popular search engine, Google, has once again created ripples with its latest ‘doodle’, a giant zipper running down the centre of its homepage.
The zipper doodle is Google’s tribute to Gideon Sundback, who perfected the zipper. April 24 is Sundback’s birthday.
Born in Sweden in the year 1880, Sundback was trained as an electrical engineer and immigrated to the US in 1905.
After a stint at electric company in Pennsylvania, Sundback joined the Universal Fastener Company in New Jersey, and became its head designer in 1909.
Engineers have been working to develop a fastener with interlocking teeth for over 20 years before Sundback perfected the zipper.
His innovation revolutionised the clothing industry - gone were the days of cumbersome buttons and hook-and-eye fasteners.
Sundback’s smart design - a dimple on the underside of each tooth and a nib on the top – ensured that no single tooth has enough room to come apart, hence making the zip strong.
Importantly, he also designed a machine for manufacturing the new zipper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed