Doodle honour for zip inventor Gideon Sundback
California, US: World’s most popular search engine, Google, has once again created ripples with its latest ‘doodle’, a giant zipper running down the centre of its homepage.
The zipper doodle is Google’s tribute to Gideon Sundback, who perfected the zipper. April 24 is Sundback’s birthday.
Born in Sweden in the year 1880, Sundback was trained as an electrical engineer and immigrated to the US in 1905.
After a stint at electric company in Pennsylvania, Sundback joined the Universal Fastener Company in New Jersey, and became its head designer in 1909.
Engineers have been working to develop a fastener with interlocking teeth for over 20 years before Sundback perfected the zipper.
His innovation revolutionised the clothing industry - gone were the days of cumbersome buttons and hook-and-eye fasteners.
Sundback’s smart design - a dimple on the underside of each tooth and a nib on the top – ensured that no single tooth has enough room to come apart, hence making the zip strong.
Importantly, he also designed a machine for manufacturing the new zipper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof