Ella Fitzgerald, Queen of Jazz, gets doodle honour
Zee Media Bureau
Mountain View, California: After the stunning doodle on Earth Day, search giant Google on Thursday honoured legendary Jazz singer Ella Fitzgerald on her 96th birthday anniversary with a doodle on its homepage. Fitzgerald is famously known as "Queen of Jazz", "The First Lady of Song" and "Lady Ella".
The colourful doodle on Google`s home page shows a smiling Fitzgerald revelling in a stage performance, with the word "Google" scribbled in the background.
Fitzgerald was born on April 25, 1917 in Newport News, Virginia. She made her first recording in 1936 when she was just 17. Her repertoire included jazz, show tunes, bossa nova and opera.
Fitzgerald was the most popular female jazz singer in the United States, winning 13 Grammy awards and selling over 40 million albums. She is particularly renowned for her series of Songbook albums, which celebrated songwriters such as Ellington, Cole Porter and the Gershwins.
In 1987, the then US president Ronald Reagan awarded her the national medal of arts.
Her final concert was at New York`s Carnegie Hall in 1991. Fitzgerald, at the age of 78, died at her home in Beverly Hills, California.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31