Explain how kids below 18 open website accounts: Delhi HC to Centre
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court today sought the Centre`s response on a plea questioning how children below the age of 18 years are allowed to open an account on social networking sites including Facebook, even though Indian laws do not permit it.
The court also asked two US-based entities- Facebook Inc and Google Inc--to reply to the plea of former BJP ideologue K N Govindacharya seeking an order for recovery of taxes from the websites on their income from operations in India.
A bench of justices B D Ahmed and Vibhu Bakhru asked Sumit Pushkarna, the counsel for the Centre, to make the government`s stand clear on the issue through an affidavit within 10 days and posted the matter for May 13.
"How children below 18 years can have an agreement with any of the social network sites including Facebook? The Union of India is directed to file an affidavit on the issue within 10 days," the bench said.
The court also said, "Both Facebook Inc and Google Inc are US-based entities and are hereby impleaded as respondents. Notices to be issued to the newly added parties."
The bench passed the order after hearing the argument of Govindacharya`s counsel Veerag Gupta that children below 18 are getting into an agreement with the social networking sites to open an account which is against the Indian Majority Act, the Indian Contract Act and also the Information and Technology Act.
Due to non-verification of users, more than eight crore of Facebook users across the world were found to be "fake", which the website admitted before the US authority, Gupta submitted.
The Government of India is not taking any action against the foreign companies which have their Indian operations, the counsel contended.
Govindacharya, at present a patron of `Rashtriya Swabhimaan Aandolan`, has in a public interest litigation (PIL) also sought directions to the Centre and the two websites to "ensure proper accounting compliances as per RBI guidelines".
"Facebook`s gross revenue for previous year was 37 billion USD approximately but they are not paying due taxes to the Indian government," the petition said.
The petition also sought a direction to ensure safety of the data of 50 million Indian users, which was transferred "to the US and is being used for commercial gains in violation of the right to privacy."
It contended that a writ of Mandamus should be issued to "ensure verification of all existing users and future new members of social networking websites with instructions not to do agreements with children below 18 years".
The petition also sought creation of a national register of persons indulging in sexual offences and heinous crimes and stopping such persons from joining social networking websites.
The PIL, which listed the alleged violations of various terms by the websites, also sought a direction to the Centre to ensure that government officers "do not use social networking websites through government computers" as they may pose a threat to sensitive data and national computer network.
"As per telecommunication minister`s statement in Parliament, the government lost four billion USD every year due to cyber crimes and approximately 90 million government websites were hacked in last three years," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow