Facebook acknowledges ‘email switch’ mishandling
Washington: Social networking giant Facebook has acknowledged that it did not handle the recent email switchover the best way it could have, after many users were left angered by the sudden move.
A spokeswoman for the social network giant admitted that Facebook could have done a better job on the email switchover.
Although Facebook had previously announced that a switch would take place, but the announcement did not detail the fact that the social network would be hiding users`` email addresses and instead listing their "@facebook.com" addresses.
While the company has now admitted fault in the handling of the process, Facebook said the purpose of the switch was not to get more people to use their email service, which until the recent switch most people had no idea even existed despite it launching in late 2010.
"We want people to use whatever service is most effective for them," the Los Angeles Times quoted the spokeswoman, as saying.
Facebook said it made the switch to add consistency to the site. Since its April announcement, the company has been giving users`` personal URLs that are supposed to match up with their email addresses, but while that may be the case, even consistency didn`t explain why it hid email addresses from other services.
Many users were left angered about the switch, but more were upset about how Facebook went about it, while others didn`t even want the email address and asked if there was any way to delete it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations