Facebook blocks social network `suicide` website
Washington: Facebook has said that it is blocking a website called "Web 2.0 Suicide Machine" that helps users delete their social network profiles.
The number one social network also said it had sent a "cease-and-desist" letter to another website, Seppukoo.com, which also helps you kill off your virtual identity.
The Web 2.0 Suicide Machine site, which features a
hangman`s noose on its homepage, deletes profiles, friends and
other information on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and LinkedIn
for users who provide their account information.
"This machine lets you delete all your energy sucking
social-networking profiles, kill your fake virtual friends,
and completely do away with your Web2.0 alterego," it says.
Facebook, in a statement to AFP, said the suicide site
was in violation of Facebook rules.
"Facebook provides the ability for people who no longer
want to use the site to either deactivate their account or
delete it completely," Facebook said.
"Web 2.0 Suicide Machine collects login credentials,
which is a violation of our Statement of Rights and
Responsibilities (SRR)," it said.
"We`ve blocked the site`s access to Facebook as is our
policy for sites that violate our SRR," Facebook said. "We`re
currently investigating and considering whether to take
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror