Facebook COO defends firm`s mobile ad plans
London: Facebook`s chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg has defended the social networking giant`s mobile advertising plan, despite concerns that users will be bombarded with unwanted messages.
Facebook will release a new software with the help of which business firms can send ads directly to users` smartphones, even if the homescreen is locked.
At Facebook`s headquarters in London, Sandberg pointed out that the `size of the audience makes this, the phone, a mass medium, and it is as important to a marketer as TV `.
According to the Guardian, the new move is part of Facebook`s drive to take over the mobile platform, which Sandberg said may soon be a more important advertisement vehicle than television.
Sandberg said the company had monitored the aggregate engagement of users who saw ads on their mobile apps and those who did not.
So far, we`re very pleased with the results," she added.
When asked whether the social network was concerned about placing too many ads on users` handsets, she said the firm`s `goal is not to increase the number of ads you receive, but to increase the usefulness of those ads to you.`
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!