Facebook creates private posts that disappear after being read
London: Social networking site Facebook has launched a new app which erases pictures and messages within 10 seconds of being sent.
It is an advanced version of one of the the social networking site`s original apps, the `poke`.
The equivalent of a head nod or wink, the `poke` in its old form is rarely used today as the site has become more advanced, the `Daily Mail` reported.
It has now been reinvented to be called `Facebook Poke` and allows users to send fleeting messages, pokes, photos and 10-second videos to friends.
The messages expire after a set period of time, from 1 to 10 seconds, and cannot be retrieved by either party again, making it perfect for sending salacious images without leaving a trail.
"With the Poke app, you can poke or send a message, photo, or video to Facebook friends to share what you`re up to in a lightweight way," said the site in a blog post announcing the new app.
When you open the app, you can choose from a set of icons at the bottom of the screen to send a poke, type a 120-character message, open the camera to snap a picture - you cannot choose an existing photo - or shoot a 10-second video.
You then decide how long you want the recipient to see the message for.
It is said the new facility is similar to Snapchat, an app which is popular with younger age users, and which has gained a reputation as a tool for sending risque images.
Facebook is encouraging users to report inappropriate messages.
"If you ever see something you`re uncomfortable with, you can click the gear menu and report it," the paper quoted the company as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler