Facebook creates private posts that disappear after being read
London: Social networking site Facebook has launched a new app which erases pictures and messages within 10 seconds of being sent.
It is an advanced version of one of the the social networking site`s original apps, the `poke`.
The equivalent of a head nod or wink, the `poke` in its old form is rarely used today as the site has become more advanced, the `Daily Mail` reported.
It has now been reinvented to be called `Facebook Poke` and allows users to send fleeting messages, pokes, photos and 10-second videos to friends.
The messages expire after a set period of time, from 1 to 10 seconds, and cannot be retrieved by either party again, making it perfect for sending salacious images without leaving a trail.
"With the Poke app, you can poke or send a message, photo, or video to Facebook friends to share what you`re up to in a lightweight way," said the site in a blog post announcing the new app.
When you open the app, you can choose from a set of icons at the bottom of the screen to send a poke, type a 120-character message, open the camera to snap a picture - you cannot choose an existing photo - or shoot a 10-second video.
You then decide how long you want the recipient to see the message for.
It is said the new facility is similar to Snapchat, an app which is popular with younger age users, and which has gained a reputation as a tool for sending risque images.
Facebook is encouraging users to report inappropriate messages.
"If you ever see something you`re uncomfortable with, you can click the gear menu and report it," the paper quoted the company as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- India is 7th wealthiest country in the world, ahead of Canada, Australia and Italy
- SHOCKING! Heads of Moroccan Islamist movement caught having sex on the beach
- Saturn's moon Dione reveals its contrasting features to NASA's Cassini! - See pic
- Divine coincidence! After 5000 years, this 'shubh muhurat' occurs again on Krishna Janmashtami this year—FIND OUT
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh to visit Kashmir on Wednesday